Monday, August 17, 2009

One Girl. Three Scenes. Millions of Tears.

I'm not a crier when it comes to movies and TV. I'm just not. Grey's can bring those sappy scenes all they want, but I'm sorry, Izzie Stevens, your cancer wedding isn't going to make me cry. Much-beloved characters can have epic deaths, but I'm sorry, Charlie Pace, you're the only one covered in water.

I'm just not a crier.

It takes something really special--and usually not traditionally cathartic--to get me to weep. Weddings, meh. Deaths, double meh. The tried and true moments that would make my college roommate all teary (like, OMG, sorry to sell her down the river here, but the end of Bones's "Santa in the Slush" was very emotional in my apartment) have no effect on me when it comes to tears.

So what does get me?

The following three scenes, any time. (Yep, I just tested them. They still work.) They're not all sad, they're all very sweet, and they're all about daughters, something I didn't recognize until just now. Huh. Anyway, watch these for a smile, a few touching moments, and apparently a glimpse into my psyche.

More...

In The West Wing's season four premiere, "20 Hours in America," Josh, Toby, and Donna get left behind by the motorcade in Indiana. As they try to make their way back to Washington, they encounter a variety of hilarious setbacks, including pesky timezone issues, a cornfield, and Amy Adams. At one point, Josh and Toby bide their time by throwing rocks at a barrel. They turn it into a game: whoever misses first must, for the rest of the day, introduce himself with a clarification that "I work at the White House." Spoiler alert: Toby loses. At the end of the two-parter, they're still in Indiana, where they find themselves in a hotel bar, and in the company of a man named Matt Kelly. Here's what happens:



Like I said, Grey's doesn't usually make me cry the way that it does for other people. In fact, I can remember only one time when I really lost it. And it's this scene, from season two's "Name of the Game." Alex has been working with this patient, Beatrice, all day. She's a mom who's rapidly dying, but lying to her sullen-but-sweet-underneath teenage daughter. Alex gets pissed, and calls his patient out on it, begging her to tell her daughter the truth.

Unfortunately, I don't have it clipped out, but it's right here and it starts at 34:25. It's worth it, and Megavideo buffers fast!



Okay, saved the best for last. Friday Night Lights season three was basically one big old weepfest for me (shocker), but this scene is so memorable to me. For those of you who don't watch the show (and you should be slapped in the face), Tyra is a girl trying to get herself out of small-town Texas. When we met her in season one, she was kind of trampy, didn't really do much, but as the years went on, she grew into herself and really started to dream big. At this point in the series, late season three's "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall," she's trying to get into college. Now, for the most part, her family's not real helpful. Dad's gone, and her mom and sister are pretty content where they are, hooking up with bums (Mom), working at the Landing Strip (sister Mindy), and planning the world's tackiest wedding. But every once in a while, somebody's gonna surprise you. Seriously, watch this:



2 Responses to “One Girl. Three Scenes. Millions of Tears.”

Claire said...

That West Wing scene didn't make me emotional, but I did think it was very, very sweet. Since I've only seen WW through season 5, the most recent scene that killed me was Toby's first meeting with his twins. That kind of involves daughters, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk8akSWz2xc

Kills me. Babies holding his fingers...I just can't even handle it.

I skipped the Grey's one, but I trust your judgements.

As for the FNL one, that title is also my favorite Bob Dylan song ever, so I figured it had to be good. Good Lord, I am now also wiping tears from my eyes. What a beautiful scene.

Selina said...

I cry loads for TV. Deaths get to me the most... worst one is probably the first major death in Angel (won't spoil just in case), I bawl through that every time I watch it. There's a Roswell death that just tears me apart too... it's awful.