Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Summer Hiatus Catch-Up: Inching Toward Full-On Couch Potato Life

Last summer, I picked five series to start watching over the break. Fortunately for me, I only ended up "keeping" two of them. Unfortunately for me, those two were The Big Bang Theory and a little show we like to call Bones.

This year, I've only got four shows to get caught up on--unless you all have any suggestions.

The Mentalist, 23 episodes. I like the concept, I like the guy. Seems like it might work for a Bonesphile like me, although Leigh says she's not crazy about it. I'm going to give it a chance.

Gossip Girl, 43 episodes. I like The Hills. I can appreciate a good, campy, soapy romp about teenagers doing it with each other and then making lots of drama. We'll see.

True Blood, 12 episodes. I'm going to try to get caught up before June 14, when the second season premieres. I kind of just love Anna Paquin (Fly Away Home? Anyone?), and if I'm going to have anything to do with this silly vampire business, it's with a show like this. And I just saw on Wikipedia that the main characters are together in real life and gasped with excitement. Count me in.

Doctor Who, a bajillion episodes, but I'm just going to stick with the most recent series. Okay, you Brits are going to have to help me out here. Mostly, I think British television is weird and/or not funny (sorry), but from what I've heard/read/seen, I might like this one. And I have some time to kill. But with such a huge history, I can't imagine it's going to be easy to fit into this fandom. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I also have to get legit with The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother, because I haven't seen every episode of those and I definitely want to.

Any other suggestions?

7 Responses to “Summer Hiatus Catch-Up: Inching Toward Full-On Couch Potato Life”

Danielle said...

Dr. Who: Definitely only watch the new series (2005/Ninth Doctor onwards) - this is four seasons and a bunch of specials, but only about fifty episodes (British seasons are shorter). The story arcs are fairly vague, however, so it doesn't matter if you jump around a bit (I watched the first two seasons in the UK, but since then have only watched odd episodes when I go back, and have entirely kept out of the fandom for this show). I like series 1 with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor more than series 2 with David Tennant, but both have Rose as the companion, and I find her terribly annoying (or maybe it's just residual dislike of Billie Piper), the more recent companions are much better. As far as particular episodes go, I recommend the Empty Child/The Doctor Dances double bill. Super-creepy, plus bonus Captain Jack Harkness.

My summer schedule is going to be finishing up The Unusuals, The Big Bang Theory (which everyone is telling me to watch) and possibly Fringe (and some British stuff when I go back home).

inluv4evr said...

I'm planning on catching up with Gossip Girl, as well as How I Met Your Mother and possibly something else. I'm also hoping on rewatching Bones seasons 1-3 and the first seasons of Grey's Anatomy just because I don't remember as much as I probably should. I've also thought about watching Doctor Who, but... it does seem like a lot to get into.

Erin said...

You definitely have to watch Doctor Who. I'm not British, but I love it to bits. You can get on fine in most corners of the fandom with just 2005 on. And I suggest watching those seasons in order if at all possible. If that's not possible, at least watch the first episode first. And maybe try seeing the finale of one season before starting another. It's really not that many episodes. The trick is more in watching the epiosdes and the bits in between in the right order (again, that's not totally necessary, but it's nice. I didn't discover things like the Children in Need special until I was well into the fourth season and really wish I'd watched them in proper sequence). My favourite companion is Rose, but I love both 9 and 10. Oh, and make sure not to skip the first part of an arc. Sorry, I'm jumping around now. I don't suggest poking into the fandom until you've finished. Now's a good time to watch, though because it's on something of a hiatus until some time in 2010 except for the occassional special. I can't really think of anything else to say, so I'll stop now...

Erin said...

Okay, so I thought more, and I've got more recs. Torchwood is a spin-off of Doctor Who (I don't know how you feel about spin-offs). It's technically aimed at adults, which basically means that it likes to throw sex at you (although it cools down somewhat after the second episode). There's also some slash. It's slightly complex to work into the Doctor Who storyline, as they meet up now and again, but it's not too bad. I can try to help, if you're interested. It's not, for the most part, really deep, thinking television, but I like it.

Speaking of television that isn't deep, there's also Primeval. It's a fun, cute show, but it will drive you bonkers if you're the type of person who gets really annoyed/distracted by every single plot hole. I can't think of any slash in it that's technically canon, but there's stuff that comes pretty close, and I think there are more slashers in the fandom than non-slashers. It's also not too long, just 6 episodes for the first season, 7 for the second, and 10 for the third (this season's not quite over yet, but it's pretty close). The third season just started airing in America on BBCAmerica last Saturday, and it wouldn't kill you to just start watching with the second episode of the third season, if you're interested. Still, I'd recommend starting at the beginning.

On a side of the spectrum that's almost completely opposite, you've got Life on Mars. This one lasted two seasons with a grand total of 13 episodes (so another pretty quick one). I can't tell you too much about it since I've only seen the first episode (episodes are murder to find), but I've heard lots of good things about it, and it's got brilliant music. It also has a spin-off, Ashes to Ashes, which I am watching and quite enjoying.

Okay, sorry to eat up your space, but I felt that these shows were worth it.

onebreath said...

Yes, definitely watch DW! I'm a Brit and HATE our TV. Srsly, it's rubbish, I never watch it, but DW (the new series anyway) is one of our little gems!

Hmmm other shows to check out... I can't think of any. I think you either watch everything I watch or have it on your summer line up already. :)

Erin said...

Sorry, sorry, sorry, something else I forgot to mention: the OTP in Doctor Who is the cutest, dorkiest ship I've ever seen. You know those posters with a puppy and a kitten curled up together? Well this ship is more adorable than that. And TPTB are brilliant, too. They are, for the most part, a bunch of hyper little shippers. It's fantastic.

Oh, and if you're interested in Torchwood, don't go near it at least until you finish the first season of Who, and preferably not until you finish the second. But before you finish the third. Like, between the beginning of the third season and the third to last episode of the third season goes the first season of Torchwood.

Caroline Carter said...

Hahahaha thank you everyone for the Doctor Who recs. I just watched the first three. It's a lot more--what's the word--ridiculous? than I thought it was going to be. But it's so delightful. Not 100% sold yet, but will definitely keep watching!