Thursday, January 22, 2009

Bones: Fall Semester Report Card

Ok. So I'm holding my breath that nothing else comes up to pre-empt Bones, again. Now that everything is back to being shown in its proper order, and my blood pressure is back to normal, let's stay on track, please. I don't like change!

As we head into the spring semester, I think it's about time to grade the fall semester, no?

Improvements:
Brennan is getting it. More on that later.


The updated credits. Great mixture of old and new scenes. Just enough flash. Also? That theme song still kicks ass. For the 30 seconds it comes on my iPod at the gym, I'll admit, I run a bit faster.

The Founding Fathers bar. Sure it's only been in one episode but it was a damn good one. Having a bar means flashing back to the days of sweet moments and shippy-eyed gazes over drinks. And thank god we don't have to worry about anyone slipping back into alcoholism. I don't need that on more of my shows. Thanks.

Needs Improvement:
Brennan had asked Cam to hire another full time forensic anthropologist so she could "aim Agent Booth in the right direction" and spend more time with him in the field but I miss moments of Booth and Brennan being in the lab with everyone else. As much as I like the amount of B/B screen time, there seems to be a divide between the lab and the field that didn't exist before. I miss the days when they would all stand around on the forensic platform and shout out ideas, do re-enactments and make inappropriate comments. There have been a few scenes -- but not nearly enough. Booth hasn't had much interaction with the other squints or the interns of the week. Brennan doesn't interact much with the interns either, even though they are hers.

That being said...

Let's lose the intern of the week. It was funny for a couple weeks but I'm over it. Either pick a new intern (Clark!!!) or get Zack out of jail since it was casually thrown in that he didn't actually kill anyone or commit ANY type of crime. Pick what you want. Just fix it.

Working With Others:
I'd like to thank Con Man In The Meth Lab and the end of Man In The Outhouse for being the source of most of the relationship progression as the B's continue to get closer and closer to the inevitable. Even Emily admitted it in a recent Fox TCA interview.

As I mentioned before, Brennan is starting to get it. The puzzle pieces are starting to assemble. There continue to be times where, just for a moment, she sees Booth in a different light. Then, with something as simple as, "...my dad drank", the ever-guarded Booth made an effort to let her in and they found new ways to strengthen their connection.

Caroline made the observation that the reason why we haven't gone batshit crazy yet is because the B's aren't tortured by not being together. But the hugs, semi-sexual chiropractic care, an attempt at a librarian fantasy, cake at a bus stop and Booth's memorization of Brennan's book reviews have also helped to placate me during the fall semester. David and Emily's chemistry goes a long, long way.

I feel like I should have more to comment on -- but I really don't. The fall semester seemed to be one of those "things happened but nothing really happened" type deals.

Particularly Notable:
"I'd like to make a toast to my partner, Seeley Booth. I know who he is but I forget sometimes because -- because he never shines a light on himself. He shines it on other people. Anthropology teaches us that the alpha male is the man wearing the crown, displaying the most colorful plumage and the shiniest bobbles -- he stands out from the others but I now think that anthropology may have it wrong. In working with Booth, I've come to realize that the quiet man, the invisible man, the man who is always there for friends and family -- that's the real alpha male. And I promise that my eyes will never be caught by those shiny bobbles again."

Brennan thinks anthropology may have gotten it wrong. Come again? That's like Newton rethinking that whole gravity idea he had.

Looking Forward To:
Short term: Isn't it obvious? Hero In The Hold and Fire In The Ice. Come on. I don't think I need to expand further, do I?

Long term: Honestly, with all of the information pouring out about events coming up in the spring semester, it's tough to pick one particular thing to look forward to. Sure there's one thing us fangirls are all looking forward to but with the absurd amount of anvils Hart & Co. are dropping and the confirmation of some HUGE events that will be taking place, I'm ready for class to begin.

Overall Grade:
I'd say a solid B. Only 2 episodes this season have really blown me away from start to finish. David and Emily's chemistry along with a number of A+ scenes have helped but not enough to warrant an A grade.

One response to “Bones: Fall Semester Report Card”

Kat said...

Agree with your take although after last night I really like Wendell. Actually I kind of liked Nigel Murray in Panhandle. Shit maybe I'm just getting used to the rotating interns.

I was SHOCKED at how much I loved Fire in the Ice. I can't remember now who called the skating scene as being made of win months ago but it was freaking awesome. "Don't worry about Perotta. Nothing's going to change between us." Lovely shipping fodder.