Friday, November 21, 2008

Lost: Three Minutes of Squee!

I’m sure we’ve all seen it by now, but just in case...



Wow.

Let’s talk.

You know I have to start with Jate analysis. First off, for an episode so “universally” disliked, “Something Nice Back Home” is featured awfully prominently, what with clips from Jack’s proposal and Jack reading to Aaron.

And even though we can’t identify who Kate spins around to see (at about :25), there’s a lot of Jate insinuated into this video. With careful observation, the person who opens the door for Kate (at 2:28) looks like Sun, but with a flash to Jack in a doorway in the following moment, they’re sure telegraphing the reunion (if not reuniting) of Jack and Kate.

Hallelujah.

I’m thrilled to see clean-shaven Jack. Though we’ve seen flashes of this in previous promos, I was hesitant to get excited about it since I knew it could just be a flashback. But now, I think we’re going to see Jack get it together in the first couple episodes. I couldn’t be happier.

In fact, the situation I’m conjuring in my mind is one of Jack shaving, getting ready to go confront Kate about going back to the island. He knows Crazy Bearded Jack is going to have a hard time convincing her of anything, so he cleans himself up for her.

Enough about Jate.

Let’s talk about my new favorite ship...

Juliet and Sawyer.

Was I the only one who saw their hands-clasped running through the jungle moment as highly reminiscent of Jack and Kate’s hands-clasped running toward the helicopter moment?

Juliet: “Bernard’s still in his tent!”
Sawyer: “I’m not leaving without you!”


Delightful.

No, seriously—these two have my vote already, and the season hasn’t even started. And I don’t think this is my overactive imagination here. Not only are Sawyer and Juliet running for cover in tandem, but the first (and so far only) promotional shot for season five is this:



Should we read into this? Maybe not, but I’m still going to.

And then there’s Desmond and Penny.

A close-up on Dark’s Web site shows that Penny’s got a ring on that all-important finger, so at least one thing’s working out for them.

And as for the more mysterious business?

I have no idea.

I have no idea what’s going on with Sayid and Hurley, what’s going on with that compass looking all embedded in Locke’s hand, what’s going on with the fire arrows getting shot through the air.

Try me later. Or never. I’m so out of practice with this mytharc.

2 Responses to “Lost: Three Minutes of Squee!”

Erin said...

I'm most psyched to see Dan and Charlotte. I've been avoiding proper spoilers (I know, I know, what am I doing here, then?), so this may be old news, but after the finale, I was terrified that they were going to leave Dan out in the middle of the ocean with no food or water in a boat full of red shirts. They never did, to my recollection, really specify how far from the freighter he was and how far out things disappear from, so I was very concerned for my current favourite living character and ship. So I am, of course, very pleased to see Dan and Charlotte alive and well. Well, as alive and well as they can be when apparently being attacked. But everyone knows a bit of danger can make a ship stronger.

Caroline Carter said...

Ooh, good point! Y'know, it's funny. For as much as I love Jack, Dan is really more my "type"--or would be my type in real life. I find him incredibly charming. Charlotte? I'm still warming up to her. I liked her a LOT in the finale, but she's kind of a difficult character to understand.

But yes, there's obviously going to be a lot going on--SO excited!!