Friday, October 3, 2008

The West Wing: The Times Brings Back Bartlet

I don't want to belabor--or even really get into--politics on this blog, but I do think there's one relevant point that's come out of the election news cycle in the last week or so. If you haven't seen it already, New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd contracted out last week's column to her ex, writer genius Aaron Sorkin.

In it, Sorkin writes a dialogue between Barack Obama and Jed Bartlet. It's witty and topical and kind of on-the-nose about the ideological problems Obama's been facing, but told from that Bartlet perspective that's as heartwarming and awe-inspiring as it is condescending.

And there's a good, old-fashioned Bartlet monologue, after which "Obama" quips, "Well, it’s not as if I didn’t know all of that and it took you like 20 minutes to say."

I don't want to spoil it for you, but the end is so classically Bartlet, I got the warm fuzzies. Comedy Central called this "Obama fan fiction," but I have to say, from the fandom perspective, it's almost part of the West Wing canon. Although obviously Barack Obama doesn't exist in the West Wing universe. Regardless, it was nice to spend a page or two with a man I wish was real--oh, how many of those there are.

No response to “The West Wing: The Times Brings Back Bartlet”