Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fangirls and Apathy: Two Words That Don't Belong Together

Maybe you noticed (or maybe you didn't, but I wouldn't blame you) that no one around here has said a word about Brothers & Sisters or Heroes since last season. Really, we haven't been talking about much of anything at all in terms of excited episode commentary. That's because, really, TV is stuck in an epic fail so far this year. Save for the joyful excitement that Caroline and others are getting out of The Office, and some really good spoilers for Bones, we haven't exactly had anything good to say recently.

That is completely depressing. What is the deal with TV this year, you guys? It's boring.

Although, the reason for the complete lack of B&S and Heroes discussion is entirely caused by the fact that no one around here appears to care about them anymore. I've really always been the only one of us that watched and blogged about Heroes, and, frankly, I completely lost interest in that show about halfway through last season. I can't pinpoint exactly what happened; all I know is that suddenly I was watching about 20 minutes of the new episodes before my mind started wander and I left the couch to go do something more interesting.

You can tell me over and over again that it's gotten awesome again this year (and several people have already tried), but it's just too late. I really don't care anymore.

Brothers & Sisters, on the other hand, I do still totally care about. And that's why I can't be bothered to watch it. I still have the past two new episodes saved and unwatched on my DVR, and I'm not sure if I'll ever bring myself to sit down and give them some attention. At the end of last season, I said repeatedly that I wouldn't be able to watch anymore if they actually chose to go with a romance between Justin/Rebecca - I don't care how damn cute Dave and Emily are (and, whoa, that's some crazy Bones confusion, there). They have amazing chemistry, yes, and they're completely great together on the screen; it means nothing to me, because I can't stop thinking it's entirely weird to be making out with someone that you thought was your blood-sibling for over a year up until just a few weeks ago.

It makes me shudder, just a bit. I can't help it.

Leigh isn't about to come talk about B&S, either, unless it's to have one final rant. She told me she also hasn't watched the last two episodes and can't decide if she even wants to. There's a spoiler/rumor circulating that Robert may have an affair, and that would be the absolute end of Leigh's relationship with this show seeing as Robert/Kitty is her B&S OTP.

It's all just a big clusterfuck of bad writing lately. Not just for B&S and Heroes, but for all of our shows in general.

Bones has been back since September 1st and there still hasn't been even one episode that caused us to squee into our pillows and race to the phone to discuss. The best thing so far was the last few minutes of "Man in the Outhouse" with the precious speech of foreshadowing and all the intense gazing. It was incredible, sure, but it was just one scene out of many full episodes. That's not going to cut it. Upcoming spoilers look reluctantly promising and worthy of squee, but they're still just spoilers; it's doesn't really count until I witness the improvement on my TV screen.

Not even Alex gazing dreamily at Izzie, or Derek and Meredith being precious on the couch, was enough to keep me interested in and get me excited over the last episode of Grey's. I honestly don't even know how to react to that level disinterest.

Really, it's just kind of disheartening and frustrating to feel this way so far into the new seasons. We're fangirls. 'Shippers. This kind of thing really never happens. I mean, sure, we've been frustrated with our shows before, but it's always been because they were messing with our 'ships and working us into a tizzy. At least in those scenarios, we felt some sort of actual emotion about TV; right now it's mainly just apathy.

When the only real emotions I'm feeling toward TV lately are anxious paranoia and overly-dramatic hatred, I have to conclude that something is seriously wrong in TV land right now.

This is not good. November Sweeps had better rush in with some major repairs.

Otherwise I'm going to have to find other ways to occupy my nights until Lost and FNL come back to me in January. Maybe I can go get one of those "life" things that all of my non-fandom friends are always talking about.

No response to “Fangirls and Apathy: Two Words That Don't Belong Together”