Thursday, August 7, 2008

Summer TV Catch-Up Update. In One Word, DVR.

A few months ago, I initiated a summer plan for TV catch-up. I planned to try Bones, Chuck, Eli Stone, and The Big Bang Theory, while getting caught up on Weeds.

I’m well into my plan and my life is getting immensely more complicated.

My roommate and I are switching cable providers because we realized we could get a better deal at Comcast and they’d give us a DVR. Now, a DVR has long seemed to me a perk that I can live without. I have appointment television, and if something drastic comes up that forces me to skip a night, I trust websites and VHS to get me caught up lickety-split.

This season, I need reinforcements.

My TV regiment for 2008-2009 includes Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Fringe, Dollhouse, Bones, The Big Bang Theory, Lost, 30 Rock, The Office, Friday Night Lights, Desperate Housewives, and Pushing Daisies.

And I haven’t even tried Eli Stone, Mad Men, or Gossip Girl—the last two got added to the must-try list after I started my summer catch-up plan.

I’ve always been a TV fan. But my time spent concerning myself with television has always been on a qualitative level. Lost demands attention. For the first time, I find myself in a quantitative conundrum. Because this is more TV than I’ve ever watched before in my life.

Weeds is getting pushed off my schedule; I just don’t believe it anymore.

I could barely suffer through the pilot of Chuck. Whoever said that show was Alias plus The Office was seriously disturbed. I couldn’t suspend my disbelief for that crap.

When I saw that Bones had already aired a disorienting 58 episodes, I thought I’d just be giving it a try and then turning it off. I never thought I’d watch all 58 in two weeks and be on the edge of my seat for season four to begin.

The Big Bang Theory is nothing earth-shattering (oh, puns), but it definitely makes me laugh. I LOVE Sheldon. Also, I love the theme song. (Theme songs--underrated.) The purported ship isn’t doing anything for me, but I’m not in it for that anyway. I’m only three episodes in, but as soon as I finish this blog, I’m off to sit on my couch, paint my nails red, white, and blue in honor of Team USA, and watch some more episodes.

So that’s my summer catch-up update. Next on the to-do list (after I churn through ten more Big Bang Theorys) is Eli Stone, followed by Mad Men DVDs.

I’m going to be pretty focused on finishing the catch-up and watching the Olympics for the next couple weeks, and before we know it, it’ll be time for season premieres. Until then, GO TEAM USA!

No response to “Summer TV Catch-Up Update. In One Word, DVR.”