Monday, July 7, 2008

Grey's Anatomy: Houses and Hype

Let’s start by making one thing clear: TV Guide is nothing without Michael Ausiello. Since his departure, the news coverage over there has gotten increasingly pathetic, mostly trending toward celebrity updates—many of whom have never been on a television series in their life. Ausiello took his obviously-impressive rolodex over to Entertainment Weekly, and he’s already posted an exclusive story.

So this evening, when I went to do my just-about-hourly check of my trusty Web sites, I was shocked to see the following huge headline on TVGuide.com: “Grey's Triangle Not Over?! Exclusive: The coast may not be clear for reunited Mer-Der so soon, nor without some major drama.”

Shocked.

Of course, I clicked, because OH NO BITCHES.

Considering how the finale ended (massive amounts of Mer/Der squeeage going on over here), I had grown quite comfortable with the idea of one of my ships being done. In our post-finale podcast, Mae, Leigh, and I all agreed that Derek and Meredith house-building pretty much means “together for good.” Not to mention that whole Shonda Rhimes thing about telling us they were going to be “together for good” by the end of the finale.

Yes, I had grown quite comfortable.

And let’s face it. Derek and Meredith is an inevitability. Jack and Kate, I love them terribly and will never forgive Darlton, JJ, or myself if it doesn’t work out, but it’s by no means inevitable. Grey’s is historically mean to shippers (Addisex, anyone?), but Derek and Meredith has never been in question, as far as I’m concerned. It was just a matter of how long it would take. I never saw Rose as anything more than a convenient lesson in delayed gratification.

On the podcast, we went so far as to guess that we’d never see Rose again.

So that was obviously surprise number one when I saw that headline.

But surprise number two was more of a large eyeroll than a surprise. Because seriously? You’re going to drag this out some more? The Rose story is out of juice, people. The man said, “In order for me to kiss you the way I want to kiss you, in order to do more than kiss you, I need to speak to Rose.” The most I can imagine Rose getting in the premiere is the official goodbye scene.

Anyway, I clicked on the article. Here’s what Matt Webb Mitovich has to say: “Sources tell me exclusively that when Rose is excised from the superstar surgeon's love life, though she plays it cool with Mer, she is far from Zen about the whole thing with the boyfriend. ‘I'd count on at least one emotional outburst,’ previews a setsider. ‘Rose is not her usual composed self with Derek.’”

Okay, to me, that hardly says “Triangle Not Over.”

That says “Hell hath no fury,” but it doesn’t say “Triangle Not Over.”

Honestly? Sounds like it has potential for funny. Or at least a really great oh-snap moment for Rose. We’ve ALL been saying that Derek needs to get taken down a peg or two, and he really did screw Rose over. I mean, yeah, from the meta perspective, we knew it wasn’t going to work out for Derek and Rose, but Rose didn’t know that. It’s the Karen Fillipellis and Camille Saroyans and Roses who always end up getting hurt. (No, Rose didn’t even get a last name. That should have been a clue.)

“What's more,” says Mitovich, “although as recently as this afternoon the talk was that [Lauren] Stamile would only appear in the two-hour season opener, there are now rumblings that Rose may remain a thorn in the supercouple's side a bit longer.”

I’m still not scared. Rose staying around will just be for awkwardness’s sake, and, frankly, I think it could be a little interesting. I read something the other day (at TWOP, perhaps?) saying that the set for Derek and Meredith’s dream house had been constructed. (First of all, squee!) You know, you sleep with a girl, she gives you a pass whenever you’re having a massive Mere-induced freak-out, and then as soon as your ex does her corny little gesture of love, you’re dumping the very patient, very sweet nurse to go back to a life of drama and uncertainty. I mean, I definitely support all of that—the heart wants what the heart wants and all that—but it really does suck for Rose.

And you never really get to see that perspective on TV. Usually, you hear that Karen was left crying by a fountain in Manhattan and that’s it. She’s gone. Demoted to occasional guest star. I would love to see Rose stick it to Derek—and watch as he stays with Meredith anyway.

It’s nice to anticipate a little fluff. I have a lot of ships going right now—damn you, Booth and Brennan!—and it’s nice to have at least one of them not in turmoil at any given time. Last season, Jim and Pam were pretty stable, but I have a feeling (and I kind of hope) they’re about to become an Office angst-fest. So, yeah, bring on that room where the kids can play. For instance, are they going to leave that room empty, just waiting for the kids to fill it? Or is it, you know, Derek’s temporary home office or trout storage locker?

Wow, I can’t wait.

In the meantime, head for ausiellofiles.ew.com and stay away from TV Guide. (Except for that X-Files article. We’ll talk about that tomorrow.)

3 Responses to “Grey's Anatomy: Houses and Hype”

miraclemoments said...

Fantastic entry, and I totally agree. This whole headline is nothing more than a motive to get us Mer/Der fans all stirred up. I'm keeping the faith though, everything will be fine:)

Caroline Carter said...

Glad you're so optimistic! I don't think there's really any reason to worry. I think everyone--writers included--are getting exhausted (finally!) by the will-they-or-won't-they. There are plenty of awesome stories to tell in Meredith and Derek legitimately trying to figure their relationship out like adults. Thanks for stopping by!

blackberry-lili said...

Hiya! I've been MIA for awhile. How've you guys been?

Yea, Meredith/Derek are one of the most obvious end-game couples on TV right now. Same with Jim and Pam. You just know they're going to work out, though it might take some time to get there. Personally, I stopped shipping the two of them after season 1 -- I feel like they lost their spark, and I was always more of an Addison fan, anyway. Still, that's not to say I don't support them, because I do, and I hope that they figure their shit out. I'm sure they will.