Friday, April 18, 2008

The Office: Waiting For It to Kick My Ass

I don't know what it is about my desire to be spoiled, but there it is. I hate not having the most up-to-date information about everything, which has influenced me to read spoilers, buy an iPod Touch, and stay whoa current on all celebrity news. So last night, when I went for pre-rehearsal drinks with some friends and (voluntarily) missed The Office, I felt quite stressed showing up to a rehearsal where a handful of people knew what happened...and I didn't. One friend refused to tell me, even though he'd seen it--so I knew it was good. Called Deborah in Ohio; she hadn't seen it, but heard amazing things. (Note to self: call her back.) I left an embarrassing, half-drunk voicemail on another friend's phone. And then I broke down and called my mom, who I knew would understand. Of course she understood; the woman lived through ER season nine in the Carter house.

She spilled everything (Thanks, Mom!), and as soon as she said, "Jim goes into the little room where they do the thing," I interjected, "...and he had a ring already." What a sweet moment that was! Jim's a dude who knows what he wants, no? A week after they started dating!!?! Very sweet. I love thinking about him doing that--love it.

When people find out about my spoiler obsession--or witness anything akin to the near-meltdown I had last night--they always ask if it ruins the episode. And, yeah, it kind of does. It ruins the surprise, sure. But it doesn't make me love it any less. And no matter what my mom or spoiler websites say, nothing's going to live up to being able to see their faces. I was one of those assholes who knew the ending of "Through the Looking Glass," and do you think I was less blown away by the episode? I haven't seen them in a while, but when I watched Alias back in the day, I used to read wildfeed recaps, which spoils the episode often with mere hours before airtime.

Nothing could have ruined Jim's preciousness in that episode.

Now, having seen the episode in its entirety, having rewatched those two specific uber-presh scenes a handful of times, and having read some teasers for upcoming episodes, I now find myself sitting here waiting for the other shoe to drop. Call me pessimistic, but I've been a victim of eerily similar ploys masterminded by JJ Abrams, Jack Orman, and the like. Sydney and Vaughn teetered on the edge of getting engaged, only to have Sydney get abducted by the Covenant (Santa Barbara, take one) and then Vaughn turn out to be maybe-evil and crash the car (Santa, Barbara, take two). Carter proposed to Abby (he says badly, I say beautifully), and then got spooked and never presented her with the ring. I've been here before.

So I'm sitting here, thinking about PB&J and wondering what's going to go wrong for them. Judging by some of Pam's faces last night, we might think she'd say no to Jim's proposal...but some of her other faces suggest otherwise. But how could she say no to Jim? She loves him, clearly, and I think she understands now just how lucky they are to have found each other. And, yeah, Pam's been through the engagement ringer (oh, puns), but she of all people recognizes and appreciates the innate differences between Jim and Roy. Just the fact that Jim is so sure in his love for her--that he purchased a simple-but-pretty ring for her after a week--speaks volumes. Y'all, in "Fun Run," when the cameras caught Jim and Pam kissing hello in the car, he already had a ring!

I feel a prediction coming on. I think Jim will propose to Pam and it will be spectacular. Perhaps up on the Dunder-Mifflin roof, perhaps at dinner, I don't know. But I'm sure it will kick Pam's ass and probably mine, too. Pam wants to say yes--she really does--but she's having misgivings, especially when she thinks about how poorly her last engagement turned out. Jim gets a little miffed because, as I said, he doesn't (and shouldn't) appreciate being compared to Fiance #1, who was kind of a toolbag. Pam eventually fesses up to the fact that she's kind of terrified of engagement ruining their relationship. And she doesn't want a big wedding--she already tried that. And she doesn't want a long engagement--she already tried that. So Pam tells Jim she'll only marry him if they can get married RIGHT NOW. [Jim: "Wha?" Pam: "Did I stutter?"] And, I mean, Jim Halpert is a man of tradition. He wants a church wedding with his parents there and his brother there and, for crying out loud, Michael Scott there. He wants that for them, but I think at the end of the day, he's going to do whatever it takes to make Pam his wife. And if she says let's drive to Atlantic City, Jim's going to gas-and-go.

This blog will be along for the ride, that's for sure.

One response to “The Office: Waiting For It to Kick My Ass”

cebby said...

ER has scarred me too. When I'd finally started breathing again after that scene where Jim's "shoe is untied" all I could think about was Carby. I don't trust rings anymore until they're firmly planted upon the finger of the intended recipient. And then I'm still slightly tachycardic until there's a matching plain gold band there too. I hate you John Wells and not in the way Pam "hates" Jim.