Thursday, March 6, 2008

LOST: S5 = J8F8

The "S5" in the blog title there stands for "Season 5," in case that part wasn't blatantly obvious. That having been said, this entry is about to go very heavily in-depth about spoilers, theories and epiphanies involving the next season of our favorite show.

If you don't want to know any of the details, hit your back button right now.

Ready? Okay.

A while ago, Damon stated in the NY Post that: "Season 4 is about who gets off the island and the fact that they need to get back. Season 5 is about why they need to get back, and season 6 is about what happens when they get back."

Soak up that information and bookmark it in your brain, because I'll be coming back to it very shortly. It's integral to the whole epiphany that I had just a few nights ago, but first I need to expound a bit further.

I think it's become quite obvious that we here at CiG (including our newest contributors) are overwhelmed with a bit of a Jate bias when it comes to discussing Lost. Caroline would actually say that we're the equivalent of The Jate Daily News around here, with how much we focus on them in every single update we do for this show. We're not trying to alienate any of the Skaters - we hope there's plenty of general Lost discussion for everyone - but the fact of the matter is that when it comes to Skaters... we just really don't understand you guys. But I suppose Skate/Jate on a philosophical level is a completely separate blog for another day. Perhaps.

My point is, we love the Jate. And we love to spread the Jate love with all of the other J8ers out there. Which is why I felt compelled to share my newest epiphany.

I was stalking Lostpedia the other night, as is my regular routine these days (I've recently become single again, what do you expect?), and not only read the above-quoted spoiler from Damon but also this one regarding this season's finale:

"This season ends with the Oceanic 6 getting of the Island [...] How, and what they have to sacrifice and what happens to the people that didn't leave. You get all that this year."

Upon first reading this statement, I generally thought nothing more than a simple "Cool. Thank heavens we're moving at a faster pace now." But then I re-read the NY Post statement about the timeline of these last 3 seasons, and something hit me.

Now is the time to remember the details of that quote at the beginning. Or at least scroll up and re-read it.

If Damon says we'll see the Oceanic 6 be rescued and returned to real life by the end of this season, that means they're not on the island at the beginning of next season. But Damon also made it clear that next season is about figuring out why they need to go back to the island, and that they don't actually go back at all until Season 6.

We know that the Oceanic 6 are Jack, Kate, Sayid, Hurley, Sun and Jin. A certain southern scum-bag is not included in that list.

I will now give you all a moment to piece together what all of this means for Jack and Kate.

..............

Got it? Isn't it AWESOME?!?

For those still twiddling their thumbs, don't worry - it took a while for it to hit me, too. Allow me to make it clear.

If Jack and Kate get rescued at the end of this season (and Sawyer remains on the island), only to not return again until Season 6... well, that basically means that next season is an entire season of Jack & Kate off the island together. And, more importantly, an entire season of Kate & Sawyer completely separated. In two different worlds. For an entire season.

No Skate, you guys. For an entire season. I'll now repeat my blog-title sentiment: S5 = J8F8. LIKE WHOA.

The idea of getting to watch all of next season without ever having to worry about or even put up with a Sawyer/Kate scene in any way, shape or form is just so overwhelmingly thrilling. I'm so excited about the whole thing that I can hardly stand it.

The way I see it, next season will likely be more on-island current stories whilst we spend off-island time flashing back to what happened between the time they got rescued and Kate's trial, and then also between Kate's trial and Jack/Kate at the airport in the S3 finale. There's so much left to learn about their relationship post-island. And then S6 will fall into a new system for the show, as I can see it basically being completely current-time stories as the 6 (well, 5 because one of them is about to die. Yikes.) return to the island and we wrap up all the loose ends of the mythology.

Or we could return to flashbacks in S6, exploring what happened both on-island and off- once rescue came and went. It could get very interesting. Especially since we all know there's no legal way Kate can return to that island any time soon.

I'm totally intrigued and completely beyond any realm of excitement. I hope all of you Jaters are just as thrilled by the idea of a Skate-free season, because it looks like S5 could really be our year - even if it is only in the sense of having nothing else to battle against. We'll win in the end, anyway.

It's going to be chock-full of awesome. I can already feel it in my veins.

Bring it on, Season Five! Bring it on!

One response to “LOST: S5 = J8F8”

Anonymous said...

I hope so .... I'm a jater to the core, but after the future-jate fights in the flash forwards... well that was a bit crushing, but ur right, at least they're together. And for 3 years. :o) <3<3<3