Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Instant fangirl. Just add water.

Greetings and salutations, as my old boss used to say. Oddly enough, I used to shudder each time I heard her say it. But alas, my blogging career has begun.

My good friend Mae and I share a love of all things television. A few days ago she mentioned that I should put my rants to good use and share them with the masses. So I grabbed a couple of beers, sat down at the computer and started typing.

My name is Leigh and I’m a fangirl.

Before I even knew what a fangirl was I remember sitting on my couch and squeeing with glee when Carol finally went to Seattle to be with Doug. I also know I wasn’t the only one who would park herself in front of the tv on Sunday night to see if it would be the night Mulder and Scully would finally kiss. Hips before hands. Hips…before hands. Everyone got it? Good.

When did I realize my addiction? Abby wanted everything to stop. Carter grabbed the bottle, set it on the counter and pulled her into a hug while simultaneously pulling me into the first stages of becoming a full fledged fangirl. Abby continued to passive-aggressively search for reassurance that she had someone to count on. He said he wasn’t going anywhere. I fell to the floor. Now, had my addiction been more advanced, I would have regained consciousness after receiving an anvil to the frontal lobe and braced myself for the hell that was to come. Instead, I did what any green fangirl would do: I swooned, fell in love and began combing the internet for other people who felt like me.

The rest, as they say, is history.

From Carby, I moved on to Gilmore Girls. Which holds the title of Leigh's Favorite Show of All Time. Despite the feeling of being dragged naked through a cactus garden during its final season and then having a jagged wooden spoon jammed into an orifice when we found out 13 days before what should have been the season finale that it was not coming back for another season…nothing, and I mean nothing, can beat the love I have for that show. The Luke and Lorelai love knows no bounds and you shall all learn that in blogs to come. Get used to it.

A few months after discovering Gilmore, I discovered Alias mainly (ok, only) because of Michael Vartan. After periodically watching some episodes, my friends caught wind of Syd and Vaughn and were relentless in telling me that I had to continue watching. Thus giving birth to the S/V affair. Hi, can you point me in the direction of the nearest Vaughn? I'd like to have one.

Derek and Meredith blossomed during the first round of the Meredith/Derek/Addison triangle. Specifically, the infamous train episode. Well, actually that was when I fell madly in love with Patrick Dempsey but there’s no need to get technical. It led to the love of Derek and Meredith, which is really all that matters. [Side note: After watching him with pipe-in-the-stomach lady when describing what’s going to happen, then grabbing/rubbing her hand and having tears in the elevator…anyone who didn’t just want to push him against a wall and love on him adore him, doesn’t have a heart…or a pulse.]

Let me also give a quick shout out to my most recent new love, Brothers & Sisters. If you haven’t discovered the joys of Kitty and Robert…I…you…just rent the dvds. I’m ready to go shoe shopping with Robert anytime he wants. That’s all I’m sayin’.

So there you have it. One fangirl’s history in a nutshell.

It makes you squee. It gives you scars. It feels damn good to win.


No response to “Instant fangirl. Just add water.”