Friday, January 25, 2008

The Writer's Strike: How I've Spent My Winter Vacation

Fingers crossed for an end to the strike this week!

I've been largely absent from the blog for the past few months, mostly because there has been VERY LITTLE to comment on, thanks to the dastardly writer's strike. So I thought I'd take this opportunity to fill you in on what I've been doing and watching since the pickets started.

Watching Project Runway. The judging sucks this season for serious. Why are Ricky and Sweet P still there while Kit and Kevin are at home? Why have the challenges been super-lame for the last few weeks? If not for Tim Gunn witticisms and Heidi Klum's adorable almost-English, I would barely be able to handle this season. Well, that's a lie. Who am I kidding -- it's the strike we're talking about. I'm watching Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann.

Anticipating LOST. Can't flippin' wait. Jate is fate, people. Babies miss their moms, and Locke knows your ATM pin number.

Getting back into American Idol. Paula Abdul is such a train wreck. The talent so far has been pretty lacking, it would seem, but man oh man, Paula's antics never get old. I secretly think that the producers fund her obvious drug problem just to jazz up the show and get better ratings. Just another reason why I'm siding with the AMPTP.

Staying abreast on foreign affairs. Prince William and Kate Middleton should be engaged by next Christmas, and you better believe I'm going to buy the Woolworth's commemorative plate.

Reading spoilers for the upcoming X-Files film. I'm still a little disappointed that it's not going to be a Mythology movie. They say they want it to be really scary, and I can't think of anything scarier than the Cigarette-Smoking Man, particularly now that his face got burned off.

Constantly looking for new programming. Tori & Dean: Inn Love? I'm there. A Bring it On marathon on ABC Family? It's already been broughten. My cultural observations have ceased to be McReferency and are now about seeing Lauren Conrad at American Apparel or The Girls Next Door at a frat party.

Getting strike news coverage from at least three sources every day. Thanks, Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, and Nikki Finke. Without you, I would be woefully underinformed. I have become my friends' favorite strike news source, despite my "noted anti-writers bias."

Reading. I do my homework now. It's a good thing.

No response to “The Writer's Strike: How I've Spent My Winter Vacation”