Monday, January 28, 2008

Journeyman: The Time-Traveler & His Wife (and 1940s Olivia, too) Say Goodbye

First of all, let me throw up a wave to dear darling Caroline as a "proof of life" on my part, as I'm sure she'll fall over dead of shock as soon as she sees that I have - in fact - updated this brilliant blog of ours that I have neglected for far too long now.

*waves at Caroline and wooks*

Second of all, I do realize that I haven't blogged a single entry about Journeyman since the first entry I posted as a review of the pilot. That doesn't mean I wasn't watching it every week with a deep intensity, though. I totally was. I may fail at keeping up with this blog on a regular basis (a problem I whole-heartedly mean to remedy once the strike ends... or at least once Lost comes back this week [!!]), but my dedication to the shows I really love is never wavering. Journeyman was a weekly treat for me. I found myself just barely paying attention to Heroes anyway, waiting impatiently through the episodes in anticipation of what Dan Vassar and his women would bring to me an hour later.

I fell in love with Kevin McKidd. Seriously, he is beyond adorable and he was basically genius in the role of Dan. I'm also totally a sucker for actors who can play opposite their natural accent: Hugh Laurie and Matthew Rhys, for instance. Both British. Rhys is actually Welsh, which is even cooler. Hell, Rachel Griffiths is Australian. And my time-traveling love, Kevin McKidd, is Scottish in reality. I am fascinated by these brilliant foreigners who play American accents so perfectly week to week. But whatever, I digress a bit... my point was that I just love Kevin McKidd. I never once disbelieved him as Dan, or any of the emotions that he displayed in the role.

What I hate most about the fact that NBC has decided to cancel this show (which I blame on the WGA strike.) is that I was really, really just starting to get obsessed with it. Sure, I loved it and refused to miss it every week. But I mean that I was just on the verge of a true fandom addiction. I was in a personal battle with myself over whether or not it was possible to 'ship both Dan/Katie AND Dan/Livia without betraying one's own fangirl 'shipper guidelines. If Dan and Olivia were only ever together during time travel, then wouldn't it theoretically be okay for there to be a Dan/Livia romance going on in Dan's past/Livia's future? While still allowing Dan to be blissfully married to Katie in the present? Couldn't I have the best of both options?

What's more, Dan's brother had just finally come to the realization that Dan's time travel was real - he wasn't delusional and there was nothing wrong with him aside from his inability to stay in the present tense. Livia had started spontaneously traveling to her future/Dan's present - she had been in Dan & Katie's house, saw pictures of Zack... she showed up at the newspaper offices and TALKED TO JACK. Like, Jack saw her and realized that she wasn't dead and that Dan wasn't crazy and that the whole situation is totally spastic. I was literally waiting with bated breath and far too much impatience for the day when Livia ended up face-to-face with Katie again. I mean, Katie knew Livia wasn't dead and that she was time traveling like Dan so it was only a matter of time before they saw one another... especially with Katie's insecurity over Dan being near Livia again.

Le sigh. I suppose it's just par for the course when it comes to NBC, really. They are infamous for canceling brilliant, thought-provoking shows before they ever truly get a chance to shine. It's really a miracle that Friday Night Lights is still on the air, and I can only hope they maintain it for a S3. But, just like so many other intelligent shows before it on NBC, Journeyman has fallen victim to being... well, really, too damn smart and good for the general American TV watcher.

Farewell, sweet almost-addiction of mine. You were tossed aside far before your time.



In other news, Lost is back on Thursday! I must repeat that exciting news! Again!

No response to “Journeyman: The Time-Traveler & His Wife (and 1940s Olivia, too) Say Goodbye”