Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Summer Hiatus: I Can't Get No Satisfaction

I hate the summer hiatus. There is never anything of consequence on TV, and that inevitably leads to me taking my own hiatus from the blogging world. It's as if I am completely incapable of finding anything to blog about when there's nothing new on TV to obsess about. I get bored and yet I also get a life - summer is when I get truly busy, as my mind focuses on things outside of the pretty picture box in my living room. That's not to say I'm not still constantly thinking about my fandoms, but with no new episodes and months of zero new spoilers it starts to feel like there's nothing to say that we haven't already said a hundred times. Caroline has already pointed out that I may want to stop beating certain dead horses that I so desperately like to discuss in our own private conversations, so it's no surprise that I seem to lack any real motivation for blogging during hiatus.

Sure, there are new programs coming out all summer long and you'd think I'd have plenty to occupy my time and my fandom-loving mind. But you would be wrong, because my brain personally finds itself a bit too elitist and snobby to focus any free time on such shows as So You Think You Can Dance, Age of Love, America's Got Talent, or Rock of Love with Bret Michaels.

Okay, so maybe that last one is pretty damn entertaining and maybe I have picked which girl I want to win, but that's totally beside the point.

The only thing I do find myself keeping up with on a regular basis these days is, well, Days. I have become a whore for the soap opera world and it's lack of any realistic plotlines, simply because I'm desperate to 'ship a couple - ANY couple - right now and, quite frankly, Sami and Lucas are doing the damn trick. Am I ashamed? Sure. Does the show completely amuse, entertain and charm me every day with it's stupidity? Hell yes. I won't deny it. But I will blame it on summer hiatus.

For a short while I was thinking Traveler would save me from my hiatus issues, but it turns out that Traveler and I just weren't a match made in TV heaven. I was intrigued by it, and I had quickly started to fall in love with it... but before I knew it, I had missed several episodes and I really could have cared less. Clearly, it wasn't meant to be and I'm back to longing for some sort of televised stimulation during the summer months.

At Caroline's pleading however, I am going to focus all of my efforts on blogging my thoughts and frustrations for the rest of the summer. I can't guarantee it will be anything highly intellectual, but I can promise it will be entertaining.

As soon as I figure out what "it" is going to be...

No response to “Summer Hiatus: I Can't Get No Satisfaction”