Friday, May 4, 2007

BROTHERS AND SISTERS: You're a Bitch, But I Love You Anyway!

So, um, yeah. Clearly, I may have misjudged little Rebecca Harper-Walker just a smidgen. I just had so much faith in her that she cared too much about her budding relationship with the Walkers to actually risk that on a make-out session with Joe. In actuality, she was the one who initiated the whole thing. She was the one that tried to take it even farther. Her mother saw right through her and suspected that Rebecca had tried to seduce Joe in order to turn the tables on him and get the family to take her side - a theory that Becca angrily denied and I was refusing to believe - and she was completely and totally right about it.

The thing is, now that I've had about a week to mull over the entire issue, I've decided that I still stand by my initial feelings toward Rebecca. I still totally love her. She's still one of my absolute favorite new characters on television. And, really, I wasn't actually that wrong about her after all. l was, clearly, wrong about thinking she was completely in the right and had been taken advantage of by Joe; but I wasn't at all wrong about my belief that she cares a great deal about becoming an accepted and loved member of the Walker clan. She cares about that so much that she's willing to bet Joe will never rat her out and instead take the fall for himself. If (and when) the Walkers find out that Rebecca wasn't exactly innocent in the whole fiasco, she's bound to be stripped of her newfound family and any chance of ever being trusted by them ever again. I can't really explain why it is, but I find her moxie and completely twisted logic to be rather endearing.

Think about it: she's had a tough time of it since the day we met her, and she wants so desperately to be loved and accepted by Nora and the gang. She tries to pretend as if it doesn't matter to her if they like her or not, but obviously it's what she wants more than anything. She wants to belong and she wants to be a part of something special - a part of a family unit where she can make memories with her brothers and sisters just like so many of her other friends were lucky enough to do their entire lives. And she wants that so, so badly that she actually is willing to risk losing it all on the off-chance that Joe won't ever tell the truth and everyone will rally around her. I'm not saying that what she did is right - I think it was really underhanded, actually - but I am saying that I can understand why she would find it necessary. For chrissake, Joe was the one who told her that if you want the Walker clan to truly support you and show you all of their love, you need to be having a terrible time with life.

So, really, I could play the devil's advocate and say that Joe more or less gave her the idea to do what she ended up doing to him. She took his advice and created a terrible situation for herself. Maybe he shouldn't have made such a suggestion! He brought this upon himself! Plus, just because Rebecca initiated the flirting doesn't mean Joe is any less of a skeezbag than I initially theorized him to be. Whether he started it or not, he still kissed his wife's sister. Willingly.

SKEEZBAG.

Personally, I just feel a weird connection with Rebecca and it makes me want her to be happy. I really do want her to get what she's been hoping for - the family she never had. Yes, she's an underhanded little wench who I'm sure has plenty more skeletons in her closet, but at the same time she's an underhanded little wench for whom I feel a lot of empathy. I want her to come out on top, here. Joe doesn't deserve to have his marriage fall apart and his family turn against him just because he was complicit in Rebecca's actions... well, actually, yes he does. He skeeved me out before and he's still skeeving me out now, so I'm pretty much okay with whatever bad things fall upon him. It's Rebecca with whom I somehow find it easier to overlook the faults. Mainly because, like I said, I can empathize with her dreams of family and acceptance - and I really want her to find that happiness. She went about it all wrong, but... she was desperate. It's no excuse, but at the same time it totally is.

Oiyfuck.

One response to “BROTHERS AND SISTERS: You're a Bitch, But I Love You Anyway!”

Natrat7291 said...

omg, i totally agree with you. I love rebecca and i'm able to look over any of her flaws. i hate joe and i have a feeling that he has cheated on sarah before. i think he's just so upset this time because he got caught. plus, i dont think anyone can blame rebecca for being so messed up, her mom is a whore and her dad was MIA and is now dead. i love emily vancamp, she is a truly incredible actor. she has this amazing ability to keep a part of herself in every character she has w/o reminding you of the past characters she's played. the result is this extremely realistic and truthful potrayal of a girl that so many people find themselve's relating too. i love this show!!!