Saturday, February 17, 2007

HEROES: Made For TV?

When it comes to writing these blogs, Caroline and I work off of an agreement that we never simply write a blog because a new episode aired and it would be "the thing to do." The way things work around here at Chaos in General is that Caroline and I only ever blog for our respective shows when the muse makes an appearance. For anyone lost, the muse is a literary (yet often unreal) figure or feeling that provides inspiration toward writing topics and other such things. Basically, if I'm struck with a new theory about one of my shows or I have a realization that I think is incredibly interesting, then I'm going to come here and type it all out. If I watch an episode of one of my shows and it doesn't really have an effect on me in any way, then I'm not likely to blog about it that week. I'm not going to be blogging post-ep recaps with zero enthusiasm just so that I can say I blog on every show, every week. That's beyond annoying for you and me both.

So anyway, the past week or so I've been struggling with Heroes and trying to figure out why exactly it is that my muse hasn't been visiting. It isn't that the episode from Monday wasn't great or completely fascinating - it was. And it's not that I don't love the show and desperately want to find out what's going on from week to week, either.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that I'm subconsciously distancing myself from the show because I worry that it won't last as long as people believe that it will.

It has all of the makings of a classic, long-lasting series. It's winning awards and picked up a huge fan following in no time at all, so it's not like it's suffering in ratings or reviews. But the issue I have with it is that, to me, it feels like it would have made a really kickass movie; maybe not so much a long-running series.

According to the timeline, there's only a few weeks left until the bomb explodes in NYC. That means there's only a few weeks left until they have to save the world. That, in turn, also means that I have no idea what the hell the point of this show is going to be after the next few weeks go by and they accomplish their main mission. I get that they're just going to create new missions for all of the heroes to work on together or apart, and I get that they can more or less drag this out for years simply by creating new bad guys and new things that need saving.

But how long until that gets tired and overdone? How long before I'm rolling my eyes and wondering what the hell the point is anymore?

The truth of the matter is that I only started watching the show in the first place for Greg Grunberg. He's my teddy bear and I would follow him to any show. He's not disappointed me yet, considering that he was on Felicity, Alias, Lost (only the pilot, but still.), and now this show. I'm positive that Heroes isn't going to disappoint me, but for some reason I just can't let go of the feeling that this storyline idea would have been much better suited for a theater near you.

No response to “HEROES: Made For TV?”