Thursday, February 22, 2007

BROTHERS & SISTERS: Who that is? My baby daddy!

I still can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is that I love about this show. All I know is that I love it and it keeps me entertained from week to week. As I've said before, the chance to watch several of my old TV friends together in one ensemble hasn't hurt my love for it one bit... but I don't think that's the only reason I keep watching.

To me, this show is a dose of reality (actual reality, not fake reality) amidst a sea of reality shows and so many other scripted dramas that often have me saying, "That would never happen."

But the stories of the Walker family are stories that could - and surely do somewhere in this country - actually happen. In the episode when they had a flashback to September 11th and Justin's decision to join the military, it was like reliving that day all over again. The fear that washed over the whole family as they wondered about Kitty's safety in New York - that was a palpable fear and the emotions put into it by the actors were nothing short of ovational.

That whole episode just sucked me in and took me back to another place and time. It transported me directly into their world and it was the first time in a long time that I had felt like I truly lost myself in a storyline. This show is about a family of individuals with real, human problems that could fall upon any one of us viewers at any time. I mean, okay, I highly doubt many of us will ever have our own political talk show and eventually be woo-ed away by a charmingly handsome Junior Senator with quick wit and an insatiable urge to kiss you all of the time... but you get my drift.

Justin is the character that really gets to me the most, I think, and I'd have to say it's because he's struggling through early adulthood just like so many of us are. Just like I am. His battle to figure out who he is and what he wants out of life and what the hell his purpose is in this world - all valid questions to try and find the answers to at his (my) age. When he told Tommy that he needed (not wanted) to donate his sperm to help Tommy and Julia finally conceive a child, I fell in love with him even more because you could just empathize so deeply with his rationalization for why he owed the world a life.

On the same subject, I loved so much that Justin and Kevin got into a battle over who would be the sperm donor for Tommy. And also that Tommy was able to live up to the title of "big brother" and actually consider letting Justin help, despite how much Tommy had been hating on him at the time. When it was revealed that both brothers donated sperm and Tommy found a way to make sure that not even he and Julia would ever be able to figure out who the baby's father was, I died laughing at the sheer brilliance of it all. Because I know plenty of people would have come up with the same solution in that situation, no matter how ridiculous it may sound.

And now? Julia is pregnant with twins. You know what that means, right? I hope you know what that means, because it was jumping up and down with a giant "PLOT BUNNY" sign the entire time anyone talked about them having twins. Just so we're all clear though, what it means is that one of the babies is Justin's and the other twin is fathered by Kevin. Not like they'll figure that out anytime soon - unless one of the babies needs a blood transfusion or something not long after birth - but nevertheless it's a newly-planted plot bunny that will sit there looming on the backburner until the time is right to make a story out of the fact that the twins have two different daddies.

So someone is the daddy of a boy, and someone is the daddy of a baby girl. I'm leaning both ways on who fathered what, and I'm not sure of anything yet so I'm not going to put anything to writing. I do think it would be cute to see Kevin playing daddy-uncle to a little ringlet-haired girl while Justin bonded with his nephew-son over army games and sword fights. Then again, Justin has always been really great with Paige so I could see him with a niece-daughter, too. Once the tots are born, it'll be easier to pick up on the storyline anvils of who the baby daddies are.

Little by little they will fall upon our heads and make it screamingly obvious who's sperm created what. That's why I love anvils so much. If you were more aware of all of the anvils that crush you beneath them on a weekly basis, you'd probably be just as good at predicting and analyzing this shit as Caroline and I are.

But until then, beware of falling objects.

No response to “BROTHERS & SISTERS: Who that is? My baby daddy!”